Separation and Covi...

Notifications
Clear all

Welcome to The Hug Community

Where we matter.

To join our community, simply login to the forum using the menu above or 'register'. Create your account, sign in, then click a TOPIC to start a new thread / conversation.

Please always bear in mind our community guidelines before participating in any discussion.

Separation and Covid-19  

georgiaj_x
Topic starter  

Hi, me and my partner have been arguing non stop lately and after a long sleepless night I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to be with him anymore. The only problem is we live together and I'm not sure how I would go about housing with such little money right now and the whole Corona virus situation … can anyone help? 😫 

joanna@familylawcafe

Hi Georgiaj

I hope you are okay! We have had a lot of calls from people feeling as you do, maybe the present situation intensifies feelings one way or another....If there are no children involved then, tough as it always is to move on, it should be possible to figure it out.  Start by listing anything you own jointly, then what is owned by each of you and think about what a fair division might look like.  List out your expected income and outgoings as they are now and what you will need if you were to move out or if your partner were to do so. Start talking too - communication is vital, even when you might be going different ways.  I hope this helps.  Take a look at our website familylawcafe.co.uk.

[email protected]

ReplyQuote
PaulaCrowhurst

Hi Georgiaj,

The Pandemic has put so much strain on relationships.  How often are we under each other's feet 24/7?  For most of us, we go to work for at least 8 hours, returning in the evening when we share the events of the day.  Depending on your circumstances, you may have been made redundant, furloughed or working from home which in itself is not easy.  Financial issues crop up as a bone of contention in most relationships at the best of times, but at present this is putting increased pressure on couples.  The stress is a lot to handle.  You will find that you are even more irritated and impatient by your partner's habits because you are under each other's feet so much.  Communication is definitely the key.  He cannot read your mind any more than you can read his.  Were you having problems before Covid-19?  Give yourself a bit of space from each other by taking yourself off for a walk a couple of times a week.  Write down what you feel has changed within the relationship and why he is now getting on your nerves?  Sit down and talk.  Don't react, respond instead.  Use 'I' statements as opposed to 'You' e.g.  "I'd prefer it if you didn't leave your clothes all over the floor" rather than ... "You never clear up and you always leave your clothes everywhere."

Don't be hasty.  These are very unusual and difficult times.  

If you'd like any more help with relationship advice, please contact me Polly Bloom The Divorce & Separation Coach  -  [email protected]

ReplyQuote
Share: