Bowness, is a bustling Victorian tourist town on the banks of the stunning Lake Windermere in the Lake District in Cumbria.  It which merges almost seamlessly into Windermere town and is perfect for enjoying a feast of watersports on the lake.  Not all the fun is on the water though as Bowness is also an excellent base for exploring around the lake or to the equally breath-taking countryside beyond.

What to see and do:

The World of Beatrix Potter – a fabulous day out for young children and young at heart adults alike. Learn about the life of Beatrix Potter and meet some of her favourite characters on a wonderful woodland trail. Crag Bow, Bowness-On-Windermere, LA23 3BX

Windermere Jetty Museum of Boats, Steam & Stories – Opened in 2019, the museum displays a large collection of boats from historic steam launches to record-breaking speed boats.  The museum has lots of family activities including a Model Boating Pond and being able to sail on an Edwardian steamboat.  Windermere Jetty, Rayrigg Road, Windermere, LA23 1BN

Blackwell, The Arts and Crafts house – be inspired by the fine craftmanship and displays of Arts and Crafts at Blackwell with its stunning views over Windermere and the surrounding countryside. Also includes a host of family activities. Blackwell, Bowness-On-Windermere, LA23 3JT

Brant Fell – get your boots on and hike one of the short trails from the mini roundabout in Bowness to the top of Brant Fell.   Bowness town centre, LA23 3HJ

visit Bowness for calm and tranquility

Do you need family law advice in or around Bowness?

Thomson Hayton Winkley – 25 Crescent Road, Windermere LA23 1BJ  “Our family lawyers will take time to listen to you, explain the options open to you and work to provide the best outcome for you and the whole family.

We encourage communication rather than confrontation – exploring mediation and collaboration where possible – but we realise that some cases require a different approach and we will defend and protect your interests rigorously in court if necessary.”

The firm have other offices:

  • 114–116 Stricklandgate, Kendal , LA9 4QA
  • 29 Main Street, Kirkby Lonsdale, LA6 2AH
  • Crooklands, Milnthorpe, LA7 7FP
  • 114–116 Stricklandgate, Kendal , LA9 4QA (Financial Services)

Temple Heelis Solicitors – 47 Crescent Road, Windermere, Cumbria
LA23 1BL – “Our family law experts do their utmost to achieve the best possible outcomes for our clients. We understand that making decisions about relationships, children and financial matters can be difficult. We pride ourselves on being compassionate and able to look at the situation through your eyes.”

Progression Solicitors – 5 Crescent Road, Windermere, Cumbria
LA23 1EA

“Whilst we appreciate that divorce and separation can be an emotional and stressful process, our friendly and pragmatic family team will assist you in achieving a swift and cost effective conclusion. Our family law team has expertise to advise on the following: –

  • Divorce and financial settlements
  • Separation Agreements
  • Spousal and Child Maintenance
  • Pension sharing
  • Pre-Marital Agreements
  • Civil Partnership Dissolution
  • Co-Habitation disputes

What is the process for getting a divorce or dissolution?

When a couple divorce, a lot depends on how amicable they can be and it is worth bearing in mind that it doesn’t matter how furiously you try and divorce you will probably end up at the same conclusion. If you cannot work things out, then the matter will have to go through the courts to decide the fairest outcome.

Other things to consider will be assets, did one party acquire theirs thorough inheritance, did one spouse have an asset before the marriage? Also taken into consideration will be whether or not there are children and their ages. If there are children, it can become irrelevant how assets were acquired if one party needs those assets to be added to “the pot” to, for example house themselves and the children.

There are many paths you can take to get to the end goal, which is for the court to formally end your divorce or civil partnership and for both parties to be able to move on with their lives. For both of these types of legally formalised relationships, the process is similar, if not the same so we’ll refer to both as “divorce”.

You need to be married for at least a year before you can start divorce proceedings. If you have not reached this point then you could apply for an annulment or opt for a legal separation, which can also be referred to as a judicial separation. Successfully getting a marriage annulled is very rare, so you might find it easier to wait it out and divorce when you reach the point of a year. The process can be slow and you may find yourself over the year mark before any annulment anyway.

What is the reason for your divorce?

To proceed with a divorce you have to first decide on which of the five reasons you are going to use to prove that the marriage has “irretriveably broken down”. Then, you need to complete the court application which is called the divorce petition. If you do it first, you will become the petitioner with your spouse taking on the title of the respondent. There are new divorce laws coming into play in around Autumn 2021 which will mean that there can be a joint application if a couple wishes.

The dissolution of a civil partnership and the dissolution petition

With a civil partnership, one party lodges a document called a Dissolution Petition with the court, along with any applicable fees. The petition sets out the details of the civil partnership, the details of the couple, any children and the grounds or reason for the dissolution. If there are children, then a Statement of Arrangements for Children will detail who the children live with, where they go to school etc. The court “issues” the petition when it has received it; the petition is stamped and a copy is sent to the other party and they are also known, as in divorce, as the respondent.

On receiving the petition, the respondent has to acknowledge receipt of the document within 7 days, by completing a form called an Acknowledgement of Service. The court sends a copy of this form to the petitioner for their records. Again, as in divorce, if the respondent agrees to the petition then it is called undefended or uncontested but if it is defended or contested, then the respondent has 21 days to file an answer to the court. Read the rest of this informative article here

Advice and disclaimer. Check this out if you are using our site!

Back to Top

Ad Blocker Detected!