If you’re passing through the Cobblers FC town of Northampton be sure to visit Abington Park Museum which has local history and fashion exhibits (NN1 5LW). Nearby, Barnes Meadow Nature Reserve has grassland and wetland bird habitats (NN4 7NR). Or Sywell Country Park, built around a former reservoir, includes meadows, a playground and a native butterfly garden (NN6 0QX).
But if parks aren’t your thing, be sure to stop in at 78 Derngate, the only house in England designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh (NN1 1UH). Designed and remodelled in 1916, the house has been meticulously restored and opened to the public.
Other things to do in the area:
- Northampton Museum and Art Gallery includes the largest collection of shoes in the world with over 12,000 pairs – incredible!
- Piddington Roman Villa – the remains of a large Roman Villa, Chapel End, Northampton NN7 2DD
- National Leather Collection, The Grosvenor Shopping Centre, Northampton NN1 2EW
- Stoke Bruerne – around 7 miles from Northampton, there are many public footpaths around the area to enjoy a walk. There is also a canal museum to visit as part of a day out along with the Blisworth Tunnel, which is about half a mile north of the village and accessible by a walk along the towpath.
Northampton family law firms:
- Family Law Group – Northants Office – Chancery House, 52 Sheep St, Northampton, NN1 2LZ
- Fullers Family Law Practice – 2 St Giles’ Terrace, Northampton, NN1 2BN
- Wilson Browne Solicitors – Grange Park Court, Roman Way, Northampton, NN4 5EA
How can I support my children through divorce or separation?
Implementing just a few supportive strategies can make a huge difference to how the kids adjust to the changes in their life. Children suffer the same issues as the adults going through the process; distress, disbelief and anger. It takes time to get used to a new daily routine and maybe living arrangements become unsettled and transient.
Small routines like watching TV or reading together can offer children the time to cosy up and feel safe. Ensure that other things are stable too such as showing that Grand Parents and other family members are still very much on the scene (if they were before the break-up). Imagine these points as the guy ropes keeping the flapping tent tethered to the ground. Continue with a routine around meals and bedtime. Things have changed, but not every part of life.
It is essential that you inform the school of the changes as there will be support available in the form of counselling if required. Children often feel better talking to a stranger about their feelings, and this time, set aside from the normal school day will allow the child to process what is happening away from their home environment.
Don’t forget to consider your finances..
Samantha Bradford of Simplicity Financial Planning Ltd features in The Hug Directory
Heartbreak can be devastating on your body
The biggest thing, is not to be in ‘victim’ mode for too long, you have to find the strength to reach out and get on with your life as there are opportunities. These may not be so easy to find if you are housebound or elderly.
A counsellor, coach or therapist can help you to look forward and have life goals again. There will be things you want to do to achieve if you look hard enough. Sometimes we get stuck in a rut and we need a helping hand to ease ourselves out. Find out more about divorce counselling