Portsmouth is the UK’s only Island city. It’s a port and naval city built on Portsea Island in the county of Hampshire. Situated 70 miles south-west of London, it’s Historic Dockyard is one of the city’s main attractions for many visitors, not only to see HMS Victory but also the many other ships open to the public, including HMS Warrior 1860 and HMS Alliance. Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, Visitor Centre, Victory Gate, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 3LJ
The city also strong links with D-Day as it was the City and surrounding area which played an important role in the preparation for D-Day Portsmouth and Gosport were embarkation points for troops. The training of the troops took place in the area. Many men left from Portsmouth and never returned to british soil.
There are several museums which will interest history lovers.
- The Portsmouth D-Day Museum Trust, c/o Portsmouth Museum, Museum Road,Portsmouth PO1 2LJ – you can see the memorial wall here
- D-Day Museum – The D-Day Story – Clarence Esplanade, Portsmouthm Hampshire, PO5 3NT
- The National Museum Of The Royal Navy Portsmouth – HM Naval Base (Pp66), Portsmouth PO1 3NH
- Charles Dickens Birthplace – 393 Old Commercial Road, Portsmouth, PO1 4QL
- Eastney Engine Houses – 201 – 203, Henderson Road, Eastney, PO4 9JF
- Portsmouth Museum and Art Gallery – Museum Road, Portsmouth, PO1 2LJ
- Cumberland House Natural History Museum – Eastern Parade, Southsea, Hampshire, PO4 9RF
- Southsea Castle – Clarence Esplanade, Southsea, Portsmouth, PO5 3PA
If you want to explore the remains of Henry VIII’s favourite ship, which was recovered from the seabed and see thousands of Tudor objects, head to The Mary Rose. There are three viewing galleries and an amazing audio-visual display. Main Road, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 3PY
Just a short walk from Portsmouth Dockyard is the popular Gunwharf Quays, shopping outlet that also houses restaurants, bars, a cinema and bowling alley – Park Rd, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 3TZ
Southsea Model Village is a fun place to visit at Lumps Fort, Eastney Esplanade, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO4 9RU
Standing tall above Gunwharf Quays is the Spinnaker Tower – a 170-metre landmark that has become a famous emblem of the city. On a clear day, visitors can see for up to 23 miles from its viewing platforms. If you are really brave you can take on the glass floor of the glass Sky Walk! Spinnaker Tower, Gunwharf Quays, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 3TT
My Great Uncle Ken left Portsmouth for the landing beaches in Normandy on D-Day. He never returned. He was just 19 years old and was buried at Sea. With the help of the Portsmouth Museum D-Day Trust, I uncovered photographs of Ken actually on his way to Normandy aboard the LCT.
I was even reunited with a veteran who helped to bury him at Sea and another who was injured at the same time my Great Uncle was killed. It was an emotional reunion.
There is a model of Uncle Ken’s actual LCT in The Portsmouth Museum, which I am still to visit.Alison – Founder of The Group hug
Find out more about
If you’re feeling nervous for different reasons; walking on eggshells rather than glass, we have you covered. Here’s a list of family solicitors in the City of Portsmouth and surrounding area who could help
- Churchers Solicitors LLP – 13/18 Kings Terrace, Portsmouth, PO5 3AL
- Bramsdon & Childs – 141 Elm Grove, Southsea, Hampshire, PO5 1HR
- Quality Solicitors – Kent House, 49 Kent Road, Portsmouth, PO5 3EJ
- Larcomes Legal Limited – 168 London Road, North End, Portsmouth, PO2 9DN
- Andrew & Andrew – Atlantic House, 114 Kingston Crescent, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO2 8AL and also in Emsworth at 51 High Street, Emsworth, Hampshire PO10 7AN
- Rutherford Solicitors – 257 Milton Rd, Southsea, PO4 8PQ.
- Warner Goodman – have offices in Fareham (PO16 0JR), Southampton (SO15 2FF), Portsmouth at Colman House, 2-4 Landport Terrace, Portsmouth PO1 2RG, Chandler’s Ford (SO53 2GJ) and Waterlooville (PO7 7TH)
- Biscoes Solicitors – “With a fixed fee divorce our experienced family lawyers will prepare and file all the necessary documentation for an undefended divorce and guide you through the process.” Kingston Place, Kingston Crescent, North End, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO2 8AQ. They also have offices in Gosport (PO12 1DF), Petersfield (GU32 2HG), Portchester (PO16 9UN), Waterlooville (PO7 7SG) and Wickham (PO17 5JN)
When you are going through tricky times, it’s easy to forget about financial matters as they can seem intimidating.
Nick Clegg of Hampshire Financial Planning Ltd features in The Hug Directory “It is important that you get financial advice through life changing situations such as divorce, separation or bereavement. Our approach is holistic, covering all areas of my clients’ financial needs, including:
What is financial planning?
Starting over after a turbulent period in your life is not easy. You may have chosen the road you are on or, it may have been forced upon you. We are talking about financial planning as it’s something many people see as complicated when they are already going through a turbulent time in their life. Their mental bandwidth can’t take this added complication and often, finances are left neglected.
Whatever happened, the past is the past and eventually you have to pick yourself up, dust yourself down and move on. You have to open your eyes and be conscious that you are alive; take your head out of the sand.
Picking up the pieces is key
You have to take what’s left, even if it’s very little and rebuild what you can and financial planning is key. You may have nothing so, what then? Speak to an expert and come up with a plan. There is always something you can do; no one is saying it will be easy.
You may have come out of a divorce with a settlement or a house, or you may have left with nothing. Look at what you do have and make it work for you. If you have come out with something substantial it is worth speaking to a financial advisor to see how you can best nurture it. You have to consider the future and look after what you have, ensuring that you don’t lose the lot! Read the rest of this article about starting again and financial planning
Ally Ilott – Heritage Estate Planning & Will Writing
Many people believe that it is only important to look at your will after divorce. That is simply not true. When embarking on a separation or divorce it is vital that you speak to an expert to consider what could happen to your assets “during” the divorce process, should anything happen