Ross-on-Wye is an ancient market town in Herefordshire. It sits on the River Wye and on the edge of the Forest of Dean. Ross-on-Wye is known for its markets, independent shops and beautiful panoramic views. The town attracts many visitors every year.
10 ways to evidence domestic abuse for Legal Aid applications
What to see and do in Ross-on-Wye
- The Market House – the Market house was built between 1650 and 1654 as a place for shopkeepers to sell their products. It is one of the most iconic sights in Ross-on-Wye and is definitely worth a visit. The building now houses the local heritage centre, which displays lots of interesting information and items related to the history of the town and nearby areas. There are also exhibits showing local art and crafts – Market House, HR9 5NX
- Wye Valley Butterfly Zoo – walk with free-flying butterflies and see and learn about every stage of their life-cycle. Both children and adults will love seeing how many of these beautiful, tropical creatures you can spot, you will also find caterpillars and chrysalis along the way. There is a cafe on site for refreshments – Symonds Yat West, HR9 6DA
- Goodrich Castle – one of the best preserved English medieval castles. This is a fascinating and fun day out for the whole family. There is a guided tour that brings the castle to life and teaches you all about its history, including the infamous “siege of Goodrich castle”. The views from the top of the castle, high above the River Wye are stunning – Castle Lane, Goodrich, HR9 6HY
Things not to do when you are getting a divorce
- Symonds Yat West Leisure Park – a fantastic location for a walk as the views are breathtaking. Lots of green open space, plus many other attractions, make this the perfect place for a family trip. Activities include boat hire, amusement arcades, play areas, go-karts and river cruises – Whitchurch, HR9 6BY
“I need family law advice and support in Ross-on-Wye”
Okells Francis, Church Row, Ross-On-Wye HR9 5HR
Setfords Solicitors, Unit 8, Croft Court Crofts Lane, Ross-On-Wye
Harrison Clark Rickerbys – Overross House Ross Park, Wye Valley, Ross-On-Wye HR9 7US
- Wyedean Canoe and Adventure Centre – hire a canoe for the best way to see the beautiful Wye Valley. If you would like to try something more adventurous, there is also the chance to do paddle-boarding, abseiling, caving and more. Enjoy a memorable day out in a safe and fun environment – Symonds Yat East, HR9 6JL
What’s the difference between a Civil Partnership and Marriage?
In 2019 the Civil Partnership (opposite Sex Couples) Regulation 2019 allowed opposite-sex partners to also enter into civil partnerships. This made everything equal for both opposite-sex and same-sex couples. A man and woman no longer have to get married; they can enter into an agreement without saying vows. A civil partnership is formed by signing the civil partnership document in front of witnesses and a registrar.
Separating from my wife wasn’t any easier just because I am a man
As of December 31st 2019 both sets of couples could enter into a civil partnership. Civil Partnerships were originally introduced in the early 2000’s by the Civil Partnership Act 2004 for same-sex couples, to “bridge the gap” before the law around same-sex marriage was introduced. The act finally enabled same-sex couples to form a legal bond similar to a marriage and have the same rights around things such as inheritance.
Everyone now has the same coupling rights
In 2013 the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act 2013 came into play allowing same-sex couples to finally marry. This meant that same-sex couples could choose whether to marry or enter into a civil partnership. One of the differences between a marriage and a civil partnership is that when a couple get married, the marriage certificate only details the name of the parties fathers. In a civil partnership the names of both parents of each party are named.
The differences between marriage and a civil partnership
If you are in an opposite-sex or same-sex relationship, you now have the same options to legally tie yourselves. There is only one factor which is different when it comes to a reason for divorce or dissolution, and that is that a person cannot commit adultery within a civil partnership. Adultery can only happen when a married person has sex with another person outside the marriage (that person has to be of the opposite sex too). Being in a civil partnership means you are not married, but, you guessed it, you are in a civil partnership.
Do you want to others in our community? Visit the chatroom today
If you are entering into a civil partnership you cannot define your relationship as a marriage. You are not “married”. To be married, a couple exchange spoken words or vows. A civil partnership is formed when both parties have signed the civil partnership document in the presence of a registrar and two witnesses.
Entering into a civil partnership does not require a ceremony and it’s recorded electronically, whereas marriages are registered on paper. Read the rest of our article on divorce and separation here