The story of Chesterfield has been over 2,000 years in the making. From its roots as a Roman fort close to the very edge of the Roman Empire its excellent transport links helped it become a prosperous market town in the Middle Ages, serving north eastern Derbyshire and beyond.
Today, Chesterfield is perhaps best known for the crooked spire of its Church of Saint Mary and All Saints and is why the local football team is known as The Spireites (S40 1XJ). Chesterfield play their home games at the 10,504 capacity Technique Stadium (S41 8NZ), having moved from their historic home of Saltergate during the summer of 2010 (S40 4SX).
Chesterfield is a large market town located 24 miles north of Derby and 11 miles south of Sheffield. The town sits on a former coalfield and received its market charter all the way back in 1204 from King John.
Places to visit around Chesterfield:
- The Parish church of St Mary and All Saints – famous for its crooked spire which is truly spectacular. Church Way, Chesterfield S40 1XJ
- Barrow Hill Roundhouse based at Railway Centre, Campbell Drive, Chesterfield S43 2PR is the last surviving railway roundhousein the UK with an operational turntable. It was built in 1870 and when it faced demolition it was saved by a group pf volunteers.
- The Chesterfield Canal, Hollingwood Hub, 22 Works Road, Hollingwood, Chesterfield, S43 2PF. A great place to visit and seen as “one of the most beautiful and varied waterways in England”. It runs for 46 miles.
If you’re in Chesterfield and looking for legal guidance, try one of these family law firms:
David Prince is the founding director of Prince Family Law and is recognised as one of the top family lawyers in the region. He has put together a team of individuals with different strengths to form a formidable team to assist in every area of family law and achieve the best possible outcome for their clients. Prince Family Law is based at Royal Court, 3 Basil Close, Chesterfield, S41 7SL.
Banner Jones Solicitors have been established for over 140 years and they are committed to providing our clients with no-nonsense legal advice tailored to your individual needs and circumstances. With over 130 staff across 6 offices, you can find them at 24 Glumangate, Chesterfield, S40 1UA.
Don’t forget your finances! We’ve found these firms in Chesterfield
- Jones & Co, 27 Glumangate, Chesterfield, S40 1TX
- Cheetham Jackson, 69 Saltergate, Chesterfield. S40 1JS
- Horizon Advisors, 10 Rose Hill, Chesterfield, S40 1LW
- Boardman Wealth Management Ltd, Sunnybank, 12 Albion Road, Chesterfield S40 1LJ
Dealing with finances can seem scary and complicated
Yes, if you have never been the one to deal with the finances, it can all seem a very daunting and complicated. However, a good financial advisor will put everything into plain English and explain so you understand. There is no point shying away from financial planning because it seems “scary” – you have to take the bull by the horns and face up to it. You will feel uplifted when you realise that things are no so complicated afterall.
Whether you have money or not, what you are striving for is probably financial stability and a new life. Whether you are buying a home or renting, things have changed. Many people are opting to rent these days, so don’t think you are a failure if you don’t own your own home. Who knows what the future holds? Life is full of surprises. You don’t know if you will meet a new partner, or win the lottery. Live in the now, but plan for the future. Read the rest of this article.