Welcome to The Hug Community

Where we matter.

To join our community, simply login to the forum using the menu above or 'register'. Create your account, sign in, then click a TOPIC to start a new thread / conversation.

Please always bear in mind our community guidelines before participating in any discussion.

The booze  

RSS

Newlife
(@newlife)
Double-Star Member
09/05/2019 9:24 pm  

I used to have the odd glass of wine in my twenties... then I got married and it was weekends. Getting divorced and I’m having a bottle a night to get through it. I stop for a night... then have an excuse in my head why I need to ‘drink tonight’. Any tips? Really want to knock it on the head and I know it’s my crutch right now. It just numbs the pain... feeling guilty. 

Topic Tags
Threewheels
(@threewheels)
16/05/2019 11:54 pm  

Omg. I was you. Drinking to numb the pain. I think you just have to set a stop date. I have convinced myself that i don’t need booze when I’m shopping and then when I get home I want some and don’t have any in the house. If I don’t buy I don’t open and drink. The biggest hurdle is shopping. Resisting putting it into my trolley. 

I drink fizzy water from a nice glass in the evenings.., with fruit etc..seems to Stop the urge of having a glass of wine  in my hand. It’s just a habit. Sit down. Wine. Crisps.  Xx

ReplyQuote
Newlife
(@newlife)
Double-Star Member
22/05/2019 12:15 am  

I stopped for a few days and then the weekend arrived and I ended up having five bottles of wine during Friday/Sat/Sun. it’s dusgusting and has to stop. I thought about why I did it and it was like I felt I deserved it. I think I must just be all or nothing.. just stop and that’s it? No half measures. I don’t feel ‘addicted’ but I like the kind of numb warm feeling I get.. on the edge of the horrid reality of the moment.

I’m going to try the wine glass trick @threewheels that might work. 

ReplyQuote
Urbanmoves
(@urbanmoves)
22/05/2019 1:16 pm  

Well done to the ones that can recognise the problem and are looking for a solution... 🤗 🤗 🤗 

I have to make clear that I am one of those who doesn't drink much at ll, I would just have one drink every now and then and most of the times is to socialize with others that do drink,  I can easily go without drinking for a very long time, in all fact if  alcohol was banned today and forever I wouldn't miss anything at all...  

Now I am going to say something that most likely you all know well anyway, people generally drink with the idea of feeling better, but alcohol is really a depressant so it can’t really relax you or make you feel any better... What it really does , in brief,  is slow down your thinking but not truly relaxing you. Once the alcohol wears off the causes what stressed you  return, often stronger than before and you drink again to correct it. Relying on alcohol to relax or "feeling better" can and will finally create a dependency, there are plenty many other ways to relax and unwind without any downsides than alcohol. I would say find  what works better for you and go do that, you'll not regret the change...don't give up !!! 🤗  

ReplyQuote
Sciman
(@sciman)
27/06/2019 3:00 pm  

This is so true. I go to the pub on my way home purely to see people and talk crap before going back to my flat on my own. My kids are with my ex wife and i work as an account manager so it can be quite lonely not being part of a team in an office - although i speak to people on the phone. The pub is where i see human life (well.. a few of them are vaguely human - I think). Then I go home and sink a few glasses of wine just because i like the taste of it and it's a routine. I do need to get a life. Just not sure where to start. Trying dating. That can turn you to drink 😎 

ReplyQuote
Fiona
(@fiona)
01/07/2019 12:53 pm  

Hi - thanks just read through posts above. It is not at all uncommon for people to ‘self medicate’ with alcohol during stressful times and any number of reasons. Sadly all it does it mask they feelings that you are drinking to cover up and possibly create another issue for yourself. It is not easy as you need to address issues one at a time - for those of you who think you would like some strategies and support for your drinking try www.clubsoda.com it is an online support group for people who would like to go alcohol free - and has some me great tips and links to suppliers of alcohol free drinks - beer, wine, spirits etc which are also helpful if you are just cutting down or for designated drivers - better options than fizzy drinks! I hope that helps. 

ReplyQuote
The Group Hug
(@the-group-hug)
Member Admin
01/07/2019 5:19 pm  

Thank you for joining the community and helping others... keep going... your replies are helping others. 

ReplyQuote
bonnielass
(@bonnielass)
13/08/2019 11:09 pm  

Well done all of you who have recognised that you have issues with alcohol and are seeking help. 

My partner is alcohol dependent. He is a great guy, kind, loving, funny.  He also has short term memory loss, extremely thin, no muscle tone, problems with urination, twitches when he has not had a drink, eats minimum amounts of food, panic attacks and anxiety if going somewhere there is no bar.  I could go on and on about health issues!! 

The main problem is HE DOESNT THINK HE HAS A PROBLEM!! 

Tomorrow morning I will talk to him and end our relationship. This is breaking my heart and I know he will be upset but it is for the best. We both have kids from previous relationships ( the addiction ended his last relationship too). His teenage daughter has begged him to stop drinking but to no avail.  The way I see it is if he won't stop for his own daughter then he sure as hell won't stop for me! 

I have suggested AA, going to see gp but he is for having none of it. That is why I have to go my own way. I can't watch him slowly kill himself anymore.

ReplyQuote
Share: